The quiet little suburb of Seventeen Mile Rocks is located in the southwestern part of Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. It is situated approximately 11 kilometres (6.8 miles) southwest of the Brisbane central business district. The suburb derives its name from the prominent rocks that can be found along the Brisbane River, which were historically used as a distance marker.
The best options for accommodation lie in the suburbs surrounding Seventeen Mile Rocks as there are no motels or hotels in the suburb.
Nearby options include:
- Mt Ommaney Hotel Apartments – Sinnamon Park
- Accommodation on Westlake – Mt Ommaney
- Darra Motel & Conference Room
- Oxely Motor Inn
- Inala Hotel
The best things about Seventeen Mile Rocks include:
The suburb is bordered by the beautiful Brisbane River on its northern side, providing residents with scenic views and recreational opportunities.
Rocks and Parks
As the name suggests, Seventeen Mile Rocks is known for its rocky outcrops and the accompanying parks. Rocks Riverside Park is a popular recreational area that offers picnic spots, walking trails, playgrounds, and open spaces for community events and gatherings.
The Rocks Riverside Park is a spacious and picturesque park located on the banks of the Brisbane River, offering a wide range of recreational activities and amenities. Here are some key highlights of Rocks Riverside Park:
- The park is huge and covers an area of approximately 26 hectares (64 acres). It features open spaces of lush green lawns and landscaped gardens. The layout of the park is designed to accommodate various activities and events.
- There are numerous picnic spots equipped with barbecue facilities, shelters and seating areas where visitors can enjoy outdoor dining, host gatherings, or simply relax with family and friends while taking in the serene river views.
- The park boasts an massive playground suitable for children of all ages. It includes a range of play equipment such as climbing structures, slides, swings, and sand play areas. The playground is designed to engage children in active play and encourage their imagination and exploration.
- The park offers facilities for fitness and recreational activities. There are walking and cycling paths throughout the park, providing opportunities for exercise and leisurely strolls. The park also features fitness equipment stations, an outdoor gym, and a skate park for those seeking more active pursuits.
- It is a dog-friendly environment. The park welcomes dogs and provides designated off-leash areas where owners can bring their furry friends to enjoy some exercise and socialization. However, it’s essential to adhere to responsible dog ownership practices and follow any specific park regulations.
- The park hosts various community events and activities throughout the year, including markets, concerts, festivals, and sporting events. The park offers amenities such as public toilets, ample parking spaces, and wheelchair-accessible facilities to cater to the needs of visitors.
The Rocks Riverside Park is with good reason a popular destination for families and those seeking recreational opportunities. Its location along the Brisbane River is scenic and combined with its diverse range of amenities, makes it a fantastic place to unwind, engage in outdoor activities, and enjoy quality time with loved ones.
Seventeen Mile Rocks has an industrial precinct along the Centenary Highway, which houses various businesses and warehouses. This area contributes to the local economy and provides employment opportunities.
How to get to Seventeen Mile Rocks
The suburb is easily accessible by car. If you are traveling from Brisbane’s central business district, you can take the Western Freeway and then turn onto the Centenary Highway. Take the Seventeen Mile Rocks exit, and you will reach the suburb.
By Public Transport
Public transportation options to Seventeen Mile Rocks include buses and trains. Bus services operate in the area, providing connections to nearby suburbs and the city centre. Train services are available at nearby stations, such as Oxley and Darra, from where you can take a bus or taxi to reach Seventeen Mile Rocks.