Riverfire 2023 is on Saturday the 2nd of September and this year it marks the start of the Brisbane Festival.
It will involve defence force aircraft (C17A Globemaster, EA-18G Growler and Army Tiger Helicopters), a spectacular drone display (Nieergoo: Spirit of the Whale) and of course fireworks from South Bank to the Storey Bridge and from many CBD buildings.
There will be road closures and traffic congestion is expected so planning how to get there is a must. If you don’t want to fight traffic you could book a room – South Bank Accommodation.
Best Places to Watch Riverfire
Anywhere on the river front from West End to New Farm will have good views but the following are recommended:
- South Bank – Clem Jones Promenade
- River Terrace at Kangaroo Point
- Kangaroo Point Cliffs
- Captain Burke Park or Wilson’s Outlook
- Eagle Street Pier or Riverside Centre
- Mt Coot-Tha
- Mt Gravatt Lookout
- Your city employers building (book the board room FTW and make sure your pass works on the weekend)
Best Hotels with a View
These are some of the best hotels to watch the fireworks from your room. These hotels will book out fast. Those that plan ahead get the best results and if you miss out, there’s always next year.
Why not party in an apartment with a great view! Self cater and invite your friends to stay with you. No expensive drinks, parking or transport issues either. Be aware some apartments have a minimum 2 night stay and that Saturday/Sunday will be cheaper than Friday/Saturday.
- Oaks Brisbane Casino Tower Suites
- Meriton Suites Adelaide Street, Brisbane
- Hotel X Brisbane Fortitude Vly, Vignette Collection
- Meriton Suites Herschel Street, Brisbane
- Atlas Apartments by CLLIX
- Ivy and Eve Apartments by CLLIX
Get right up close without fighting the crowds by taking a river cruise.
- Oasis Cruising
- Aria Cruises
- Dolphin Wild Island Cruises
- River To Bay
- Moreton Island Adventures
- Brisbane Whale Watching
- Brisbane Riverfire Cruises
- Australian Cruise Group
Best Riverfire Rooftop Bars
Want to get down and party up on a rooftop bar? Here’s a list of rooftop bars some with pools where you can.
Want to enjoy a grand meal and the fireworks at the same venue? Here are some good choices.
- OTTO – South Bank
- Medley – Kangaroo Point
- Massimo – on the riverside boardwalk at the Riverside Centre across from the Storey Bridge
- The Jetty – South Bank
- Greca – Howard Smith Wharves
- Yoko Dining – Howard Smith Wharves
- Crystalbrook Vincent – Howard Smith Wharves
Thursday (31 August)
12:30pm Rehearsals for the Army Tiger Helicopter
Friday (1 September)
12:30pm C17A Globemaster Rehearsals
12:50pm EA-18G Growler Jet Display Rehearsals
Saturday (2 September)
5:00pm C17A Globemaster Display
5:15pm EA-18G Growler Display
5.25pm Army Tiger Helicopter Display
7:05pm – 7:25pm Riverfire fireworks display
7:45pm Spirit of the Whale drone show
9:15pm Spirit of the Whale drone show
Sunday (3 September)
7.15pm Spirit of the Whale drone show
8.15pm Spirit of the Whale drone show
9.15pm Spirit of the Whale drone show
Road and Bridge Closures
There are a considerable number of roads and bridges that will be closed temporarily for the event.
The final list will be published shortly but last years closures will give you a good idea – Brisbane Festival Closures 2022